In Lallemand’s Standard Conditions Wort at 20°C (68°F) LalBrew® Köln yeast exhibits:
- Fermentation that can be completed in 7 days, a bit slower than most ale strains. This is
- perfectly characteristic of this strain.
- Medium to High Attenuation and Medium Flocculation
- Neutral to slightly fruity and estery flavor and aroma
- The optimal temperature range for LalBrew® Köln yeast when producing
- traditional styles is 15°C (59°F)* to 22°C (72°F)
- Lag phase can be longer compared to other ale strains, ranging from 24-36 hours
Lag phase, total fermentation time, attenuation and flavor are dependent on pitch rate, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of the wort.
The pitch rate will affect the fermentation performance and flavor of the beer. For LalBrewTM Köln yeast, a pitch rate of 100g per hL of wort is sufficient to achieve a minimum of 1 million viable cells/mL. More stressful fermentations such as high gravity, high adjunct or high acidity may require higher pitch rates and additional nutrients to ensure a healthy fermentation.