Abbaye is an ale yeast of Belgian origin selected for its ability to produce great Belgian style beers including high gravity beers such as Dubbel, Trippel and Quads. The propagation and drying processes have been specifically designed to deliver high quality beer yeast that can be used simply and reliably to help produce ales of the finest quality.
No colours, preservatives or other unnatural substances have been used in its preparation. The yeast is produced in ISO 9001-certified plants.
• Classified as Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
• A top fermenting yeast.
• The typical analysis of active dry strain:
Percent solids 93%–95% Living yeast cells
≥ 5 x 109 per gram of dry yeast Wild yeast
< 1 per 106 yeast cells (Lysine method)*
Bacteria < 1 per 106 yeast cells*
• Finished product is released to the market only after passing a rigorous series of tests.
*According to ASBC and EBC methods of analysis.
• Fermentation can be completed in 4 days above 17°C (63°F).
• Medium to high attenuation and high alcohol tolerance.
• Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation depend on inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of wort.
• Low flocculation rate; settling can be promoted by cooling and by using fining agents and isinglass.
• Complex aroma and flavors may include peppery, fruity, banana, clovey, alcoholic, sweet and fruity. Does not display undesirable odors when properly handled.